20 February, 2011

Magneto #1

          Magneto is an interesting character, no one can deny that. A holocaust surviver who is then discriminated against, again simply for being a mutant. That is a character people dream they could write about. Ian McKellen played him great in the movies, and now I'm exited to see Michael Fassbender play him in X-Men First Class, and naturally I was exited to see a one shot all about him.
          In this issue Magneto visits New York for the first time. He walks around for a little, and then orders a "Superhero suit" from a mutant who makes them. He befriends the mutant and takes her out to dinner. He walks with her for a little, but a weird monster. Magneto takes down the monster, and tries to kiss the mutant girl, she rejects him and he walks a way, promising never to be a hero again.
         I have faced many disappointments in my comic reading years, but this has to be one of the biggest. It was a bad story, bad writing, and bad art. The story was to simple for a character as complicated as Magneto, and it was toned down from what Magneto's story usually is. I don't know if Howard Chaykin was trying to make this a kids comic, but even if that was the intention, it still would have been bad. I understand that this and the other X-Men one-shots coming out are promos for the new movie, but they should at least be half decent. This is going to be a short review, because the story was overly simple, with no redeeming value, and there isn't a lot to talk about. What I can talk about is the upcoming movie. One of the best things I've ever read is the first ten X-Men comics. They were fun, interesting, and exciting. I always wished there would be a movie made about the original team: Cyclops, Jean Grey, Ice Man, Angle, and Beast. To be honest I don't know if the original team team will even be in the movie (although in the preview there was a character that looked a lot like Beast) but even if the movie is pre-X-Men, I'm very much looking forward to it, even though this promo was terrible.






Grade: 0.5/10
Buy at own risk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers