08 July, 2010

Birds of Prey #2

               Gail Simone continues the series that had the best first issue I've ever seen. So naturally I had very, very high expectations for this issue. This issue began with the continuation of an epic fight between the Birds and White Canary. Every panel in the entire fight looks like it could be on a poster. My only complaint is there was one panel where Black Canary punched White Canary in the face, and I saw the panel I've seen so many times in so many different books. The same nose crunching panel. I've seen it in every comic universe I've ever read, and it is always there. The comic  was drawn very well, this time it wasn't the colorist, it was the penciler. Especially when they zoomed in on White Canary's face to show the hatred in her eyes, you could see the genuine loathing in her eyes. It was done very well. After that Oracle calls in Lady Black-Hawk who brings Hawk and Dove. Hawk being in the Birds of Prey is my least favorite part of the series, he just doesn't work in the story, mainly it is because I don't like his character. I said this in an earlier review, but I will say it again. DC is trying to make Hawk the DC equivilant of the Punnisher, but they are trying to force him to be edgy.  Black Canary said it right, I also enjoyed it when Hawk got thrown into a wall.
               So after the fight scene, you figure out that White Canary was stalling so the press and the police could get there and Black Canary would be filmed resisting arrest. Now Black Canary's identity is public. That is the flaw. Why? Why? Why? Why? I hated that they did that with Green Arrow, now they have done it to Black Canary! On the Second issue! I think all of the Birds are going to the Iceberg with the Penguin. That will be cool for a couple issues, the Birds being mixed with the law. Trying to be good but relying on the Penguin. So this issue wasn't as good as the last one, but this series has so much promise.


Grade: 8.5/10
Buy at: www.mycomicshop.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers