20 June, 2010

Secret Avengers #1


             All right, I didn't expect much out of this comic, I just bought it because my comic store didn't have Flash #2, Birds of Prey #2, nor did it have Brightest Day #4.  So I grabbed this on my way out. The comic was  amazing. I didn't see the author until after I read it, and I was very happy to see Ed Brubaker's name at the bottom. First of all the role call was amazing. Moon Knight, Nova, The Black Widow, Steve Rogers, War Machine, Beast, Valkyrie and Ant Man. I'm very glad that Steve Rogers is in this series. I will admit that I wish he was still Captain America, but  Bucky is doing fine. I know some of you might find this shocking because I went on rants about how much I didn't want Dick Grayson as Batman, but I don't mind Bucky. Also Steve is doing a pretty good job here.
       This story fit the name of Secret Avengers. They ran in beat up some guys, took what they needed and ran out. That is what I expected, but Brubaker  made it work. In this case the secret Avengers took what they thought was the Serpent Crown. Instead it was a cousin to it. Looks into where Roxxon (the people they stole it from) found this crown. They found out that Roxxon had mineral rights to Mars and was digging there. When they shut down all of the diggers, pretty much disappear. (Read the comic to understand it better) So Steve sends his one guy that he can to Mars: Nova. When he got there he was put under fire by these weird space tanks, he went into a cave and found ______. I'm not going to spoil the story for you. Meanwhile during all this the Shadow council has been fallowing the Secret Avengers. They keep saying they can't lose it again, so I'm guessing the Cousin Crown is worth more than Beast knows.
         This is the best I've read in a long, long time. My only complaint is that Ant Man isn't on the cover. I'm loving Brubaker's work with the Marvel Universe. He is outstanding. The art in this book is just a notch above average, but it didn't really bother me. I'm really happy to see every one on this team (except I don't care to much for Valkyrie) especially... well... especially every one. I don't know if Brubaker made this team, but if he did he is more brilliant than I thought. There was one other little thing I didn't like and that was how Moon Knight has a big emotional scene where he was trying to change his ways . Not because the scene was bad, it's because just like how DC is trying to make Hawk into the Punisher. Marvel is trying to make Moon Knight into Batman. If Moon Knight is a over the edge killing character let him kill, don't make him into Batman, you will crash and burn.


Grade: 9.5/10 (I know, but I just couldn't bring myself to give it a 10/10)
buy at: www.mycomicshop.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers